Thursday, June 19, 2008

Summer draws near...

This has been an eventful new weeks. My step-daughter flew into town on June 6th to stay for two months during her summer break. My 6 year old finished her last day of Kindergarten on June 13th, with many tears and much insistance the following Monday that she should go to school anyway. I finally dug the hole and cemented the sleeve for my umbrella clothesline I purchased back in March. This last week has seen a swap package arrive from Rumplestilskin from the Knit It Forward group on Ravelry, a new container garden, and a new job for me. The job is nothing fancy, just cashier/photo lab at Target, but it should be fun. I've always enjoyed working retail.

Here are some pictures of the new plants. Three of the long rectangle planters were started in May, with seeds from the dollar section at Target- chives, basil and some parsley. Then, at the Farmer's Market last Sunday all of the plants were $5 for a box. I filled a box to brimming, all those Tetris games years ago finally paid off, and I filled every available pot laying around.

100_2549

There are herbs, including thyme, greek globe basil, apple mint, curly mint, italian parsley, curly purple basil, rue (for rememberance), lemon verbena, tarragon, purple sage and oregano. There's also a mystery plant (below, the spindly green thing in the white pot) that I remember is an herb, but not what herb it is. I'll have to look it up. Not only are there tons of herbs, but there's yellow and orange peppers and two or three kinds of tomatoes, too!
100_2552

And even made a little plot of melons, Sugar baby and athena cantaloupe. There is a network of holes beneath and around that old tree stump, I am not sure from what kind of critter. It's been three days and nothing has been eaten, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

100_2557

There are also seven (seven!) hanging baskets of flowers, too. Loving it. This is the first real garden attempt I've made since we lived downtown 3 years ago and I had a feeble 18" by 4' plot off the back deck. I think I'll join in on Norma's Garden Along, it'll help curb my distractedness and keep on top of it I hope.


Here's a picture of my Knit it Forward swap package:
100_2558
Lovely stuff. I can't want to make some socks with the Silver Creek BFL. I was very lucky to recieve this package from the owner of Rumplestiltskin, in Utah. Her package is nearly ready to go.

Last Friday, hubby took all the kids to see The Incredible Hulk and I actually got to go out on my own... with friends... to a bar even. It was awesome. I didn't have my phone, or there would be pictures of that, too.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoooo! Look at all your containers! Best of luck with all your veggies!

 
template by suckmylolly.com